The other night at work a lady came in and i asked her how she was doing. She replied "Well, I'm in mourning". I of course felt bad and asked her what happened. She said in all seriousness that she had "just found out that the Blimplies next door was gone and now she couldn't order her favorite sandwich"! Now, I don't mean to be rude about this customer but with everything going on in the world (Haiti) I really felt her CHOICE of words were odd. I honestly had thought she had lost someone or something CLOSE to her---not a sandwich.
Anyway, it got me thinking about how blessed we are and how much we have to be thankful for. Despite what goes on around us, we must stay positive and be grateful to our Father in Heaven for all that we have.
Nathans school newsletter came home the other day and I was pleasantly surprised when I came across the following tips for a New Year.
1. Stay Positive. You can listen to the cynics and doubters and believe that success is impossible or you can know that with FAITH and an optimistic attitude ALL things are possible.
2. When you wake up in the morning complete the following statement: My purpose
3. Take a morning walk of gratitude. It will create a fertile mind ready for success.
4. Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a college kid with a maxed out credit card.
5. Instead of being disappointed about where you are think optimistically about where you are going.
6. Transform adversity into success by deciding that change is not your enemy but your friend. In the challenge discover opportunity.
7. Make a difference in the lives of others.
8. Believe that everything happens for a reason and expect good things to come out of of challenging experiences.
9. Don't waste your precious energy on gossip, energy vampires, issues of the past, negative thoughts or things you cannot control. Instead invest your energy in the positive present moment.
10. Mentor someone and be mentored by someone.
11. Live with the E's. Energy, Enthusiasm, Empathy.
12. Remember: there's no substitute for hard work.
13. Zoom Focus. Each day when you wake up in the morning ask: "What are the three most important things i need to do today that will help me create the success I desire?" then tune out all the distractions and focus on these actions.
14. Instead of complaining focus on solutions. It's the key to innovation.
15. Read more books than you did in 2009.
16. Learn from mistakes and let them teach you to make positive changes.
17. Focus on "Get to" rather than "Have to". Each day focus on what you GET to do,
not what you have to do. Life is a GIFT, not an obligation.
18. Each night before you go to bed complete the following statements:
-I am thankful for_______________________________.
-Today I accomplished____________________________.
19. Smile and laugh more. They are natural antidepressants.
20. Enjoy the ride! You only have one ride through life so make the most of it
and enjoy it!
I am grateful to Nathan's principal for printing this and I hope that despite the hardships this past year we can all have a bright and positive 2010.